Tuesday, May 10, 2011

5/10/11- Sophie B. Hawkins- "Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover"


In 1992, Pop and Adult Contemporary radio didn't know what to do with Sophie B. Hawkins at first. Her breakthrough single "Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover" had SOME radio programmers balking at playing it, just because of a simple "Damn" in the title. Remember back then your local "Lite Rock" outlet was probably still playing Barry Manilow and Barbara Streisand, so playing something with "Damn" in the title was a little taboo. Add in one hell of a hot music video, and you've got a controversy.

The song eventually took off and hit #5 on the Billboard chart. A second music video was filmed that was uh... less sexual.

I've dug up the original version. So enjoy on profanity week, "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover" by Sophie B. Hawkins

No comments:

Post a Comment